Warm spring weather is upon us and it’s time to start enjoying fresh flavors that are hearty and savory! If you haven’t tried our camping recipe for Cowboy Caviar, you’ll want to add it to your list of recipes to take on your first camping trips of the season. It’s so easy to whip up. Some of my kids love it as a side dish and others will eat an entire bowl as their main dish. Enjoy!
- 3 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 avocados, diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 jalepeno pepper (remove seeds), finely diced — optional
- 1 15-oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-oz can of black eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-oz can sweet corn, drained
Optional – serve with tortilla chips!
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbs lime juice
- 2 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
You’ll also need:
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
- Mixing bowls
- 12 oz jar with lid (if you make the dressing in advance)
- Dice tomatoes, avocadoes, red onion, bell pepper, cilantro, and jalepeno. Place in a mixing bowl.
- Drain and rinse black beans and peas, drain corn (no need to rinse), and add the canned ingredients to the bowl of fresh ingredients. Mix well.
- Next, whisk together the dressing ingredients in a smaller bowl. Pour this mixture over the veggies and mix well.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve. Stir well before serving.
If you make the dressing ahead of time, combine the dressing ingredients in a 12 oz jar. Whisk well to combine, tightly lid, and store in the fridge. Swirl it around to remix before pouring it over the veggie mixture when ready.
Want even more camping tips, recipes, and advice for shopping for or financing a new or used RV? Follow our blog – and contact us with any questions!